Frequently Asked Questions

What types of loan programs does USDA Rural Development offer?

USDA Rural Development portfolio of financial programs addresses the most basic of community needs, such as water and sewer systems, electricity, telecommunications and housing. Further, USDA Rural Development offers community facilities programs that fund fire and police stations, healthcare facilities, community centers, libraries and other special initiatives.

How can USDA Rural Development address my community specific needs?

Tribal communities are an integral part of rural America. They have unique assets and face unique challenges and needs. To respond to these needs, USDA Rural Development has funding available specifically for federally recognized tribes, Alaska Native Villages and tribal colleges. USDA Rural Development also has an American Indian/Alaska Native Coordinator in each state with federally or state-recognized tribes to help tribal customers access Rural Development many programs and resources. American Indian/Alaska Native Coordinators and other Rural Development specialists are available to assist customers with completing the necessary paperwork and requirements to obtain funding.

What can USDA Rural Development do for my tribal community?

USDA Rural Development offers grants, loans and loan guarantees to retain or create jobs, enable individuals to own homes, start businesses and improve the quality of life for people in tribal communities.

How can USDA Rural Development loan programs benefit me, my family and my tribe?

USDA Rural Development can help American Indians and Alaska Natives become full partners in the American economy so their children and grandchildren can enjoy increasing economic opportunity and tribal communities may continue to exist, grow and thrive for generations to come.

Why are you reaching out to the American Indian/Alaska Native community now?

USDA Rural Development has successfully worked with tribal communities for decades. However, Rural Development is constantly looking to improve and build upon that history. In addition, improving relations between tribes and the federal government is a priority within the Obama administration. With an extensive portfolio of programs, USDA Rural Development is well suited and honored to assist in fulfilling this objective.

Does USDA Rural Development have any Recovery Act funding available for AI/AN?

There are no ARRA funds specifically designated for American Indians/Alaskan Natives; however, all programs are available to tribes, nonprofits, businesses and individuals depending on the specific program eligibility requirements.

How do I get started? Where can I get more information?

In each state that serves federally or state-recognized tribes, USDA Rural Development has an American Indian/Alaska Native Coordinator to help tribal customers understand and access Rural Development many programs and resources. To obtain contact information or for more information, go to www.rurdev.usda/rd/aian/ or call 1-800-670-6553.