1890 Land Grant Colleges and Universities Initiative
USDA Rural Development and the 1890 Land-Grant Universities are working together on a new approach to support the development of businesses that create quality jobs. This partnership helps the 1890 Institutions provide busines
The 1890 Institutions have some of the best agricultural science and business education programs in the nation. USDA is building on the strength of these programs to ensure that quality education related to small business development is also available in these communities.
Develop income-producing projects for under-developed rural communities; Create self-sustaining, long-term economic development in targeted areas of high unemployment through partnerships with the Universities and community-based organizations; Assist and guide these communities in becoming self-sustainable.
How Does the Initiative Work?
Through cooperative agreements, 1890 institutions are able to receive USDA Rural Development funding to establish economic development programs for their neighboring communities.
Types of Assistance
Rural Development 1890 institutions can:
- Sponsor business conferences and workshops;
- Finance rural businesses;
- Provide technical assistance to new and existing businesses, including cooperatives;
- Assist communities in leveraging other resources via state, local, private, and/or public funding;
- Assist businesses through the application process;
- Offer courses in business development;
- Provide computer labs where community members can have access to other rural economic development sources on the Internet;
- Establish business incubator services.
Rural Development Assistance
In addition to providing funding, USDA Rural Development works with 1890 institutions to assist in developing business plans and loan packages. USDA Rural Development also provides community leaders with counseling and direction on how to develop economic stimulus programs for their communities.
All required forms may be downloaded from http://forms.sc.egov.usda.gov/
Application For Federal Assistance:
- Application For Federal Assistance
- SF-424A - Budget Information - Non-Construction Programs
- Assurances - Non-Construction Programs
- Certification Regarding Debarment, Suspension, and Other Responsibility Matters- Primary Covered Transactions
- Certification Regarding Drug-Free Workplace Requirements (Grants) Alternative 1 - For Grantees Other Than Individuals
- Disclosure Of Lobbying Activities
- RD-400-1 - Equal Opportunity Agreement (PDF)
- RD-400-4 - Assurance Agreement (PDF)