Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships Toolkit
Rural Development is committed to helping faith and community organizations learn about and access programs that can enhance their capacity to serve their community.
This toolkit offers a one-stop shop for organizations interested in applying for Rural Development programs and includes supplemental resources, legal guidance for faith and community groups and contact information for the Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships Office and liaisons at USDA:
Rural Development Programs
- Community Facilities Direct Loans, Guaranteed Loans and Grants provide funding for essential community facilities such as town halls, day care centers, and fire stations.
- The Rural Community Development Initiative (RCDI)
provide technical assistance to recipients to development or increase their capacity to undertake housing, community facilities, and community and economic development projects in rural areas.
- Rural Rental Housing Loans provide affordable multi-family housing for very low, low, and moderate-income persons, including families, elderly and persons with disabilities.
- Guaranteed Rural Rental Housing Loans provide loan guarantees by other lenders for affordable multi-family housing development.
- Farm Labor Housing Loans and Grants provide decent, safe, and sanitary low-rent housing for domestic farm labor, on and off-farm site.
- Rental Assistance provides funding to existing and newly constructed Rural Rental Housing- or Farm Labor Housing-financed complexes to subsidize tenant rent.
- Housing Preservation Grants provide funding to sponsoring organizations to provide for home repair and rehabilitation of low-and very low-income housing.
- Technical and Supervisory Assistance Grants provide funding to organizations to provide support for counseling and housing delivery programs.
- Self-Help Housing Technical Assistance Grants provide funding to organizations to support innovative efforts that empower low-income individuals and families to build their own homes.
- Distance Learning and Telemedicine Technical Assistance Grants provide funding to eligible organizations to provide enhanced learning and health care opportunities for rural residents.
- Rural Business Enterprise Grants finance and facilitate development of small and emerging private business enterprises. Public bodies, private non-profit corporations and federally recognized Indian tribes receive the grant to assist a business. Grant funds do not go directly to the business.
Rural Development Faith-Based and Community Initiative Contacts
The links to these resources are being provided solely to help your organization get started and find information on a range of topics. The inclusion of any particular link should not be construed as promotion or endorsement of that organization by USDA, the Office of Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships or Rural Development.
Did You Know....
- USDA FBNP Website Learn about the Initiative and the many ways that faith and community groups can partner with USDA to help those in need.
- Food and Nutrition Service FBNP Website Does your organization need food to distribute? See all the ways USDA's Food and Nutrition Service can help.
- Foreign Agricultural Service FBNP Website Find out about USDA's international food aid opportunities for faith-based and community organizations.
- HUD FBNP Center Is your organization located in an urban area? See more housing and development opportunities available through HUD.
- White House FBNP Website Learn more about the President's Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships, and Government-wide opportunities available to faith and community groups.
Legal Documents and Guidance