USDA Rural Development programs available to local governments cooperatives and utility districts.

Water and Environmental Programs
Water and Environmental Programs provides loans, grants, and loan guarantees for drinking water, sanitary sewer, solid waste and storm drainage facilities in rural areas, cities and towns with populations of 10,000 or less. Public bodies, non-profit organizations and recognized Indian tribes may qualify for assistance. WEP also makes grants to nonprofit organizations to provide technical assistance with their water, wastewater, and solid waste problems.

Community Programs
This program offers direct and guaranteed loans and grants to finance and facilitate the development of over 80 different types of essential community facilities serving rural areas. These facilities include, but are not limited to: hospitals; nursing homes; health clinics; police, fire or rescue facilities, equipment or vehicles; libraries; and municipal or county buildings. Special emphasis is given to projects that involve first responders, public safety and health care.

Content Divider

Resources for Water & Waste Disposal:


Related Programs:


Technical Assistance:


Community Facilities & Essential Public Services:


Telecom, Broadband & Electric Infrastructure:


Related Programs:  


Useful Documents (click to download):

NOTE: The Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act of 2013 signed into law on March 26 extends the eligibility of communities that were eligible for housing programs administered by the Rural Housing Service (Single Family and Multi Family Housing Programs) on September 30, 2012 to September 30, 2013. For all other Rural Development programs, USDA will use the 2010 Census data to determine eligibility for rural areas beginning on March 27, 2013.

System for Award Management (

SAM is the new streamlined reporting system for USDA and other federal agencies. The consolidated system simplifies the process for loan and grant recipients and makes project tracking more transparent.NOTE: Individuals applying for a home loan do NOT use

SAM replaces the following systems: Central Contractor Registration (CCR), Federal Agency Registration (FedReg), Online Representations and Certifications Application (ORCA), and the Excluded Parties List.

More information is at and frequently Asked Questions/Quick Start

The web addresses for legacy systems will also automatically redirect users to