Montana Energy Programs banner

The 2008 Farm Bill created several energy-related funding programs for USDA Rural Development. The Rural Energy for America Program (REAP) and several other programs are designed to provide access to capital to incentivize the implementation of energy efficiency and renewable energy practices in rural small businesses and agricultural operations. Visit the following site for a complete overview: Energy Programs

In Montana, our programs are administered through our Area Offices; Our State Business & Cooperative Programs office is available for energy program information as necessary:

Business Programs
2229 Boot Hill Court
Bozeman, MT 59715
(406) 585-2540
(855) 576-2674

While applications are accepted year-round, certain programs have funding deadlines for a particular fiscal year. Contact your nearest Area Office for details on program funding deadlines for the current fiscal year.

Grant Recipient Reminder!
All RD grant applicants must be registered in the System for Awards Management (SAM). Central Contractor Registraion (CCR) is a requirement for virtually all parties seeking Federal financial assistance, not just government contractors. In order to register, you will first need a DUNS number. To complete your registration, go to, create an account (ID and password), and provide the required information (including DUNS#, Tax ID#, statistical information about your business, and Electronic Funds Transfer Information for payments). Be aware that it may take 1-3 days for registration to take effect, so please do not put this off. If you were previously registered in CCR, that information has been transferred to SAM. Please be sure your information is current and accurate. If you receive an RD award, you must keep your SAM information current, updating it at least annually, until your award project is complete.

Informational Materials

Helpful Documents

Rural Energy for America Program Checklists

Technical Report Requirement Appendix A/B Guidelines

Useful Forms and Links

*Note: some documents will require an Adobe™ reader, Microsoft Word™ reader, or Microsoft Excel™ reader.