Home Repair Loan and Grant Program
Provides funds for necessary repairs to owner-occupied homes in rural areas (
i.e. roofs, windows, plumbing, electrical, heating, etc.).
- Eligible are very low-income home owner-occupants.
Very low-income limits.
- To qualify for a grant, the homeowner must be 62 years of age or older
and be unable to repay a loan.
- Applicants for a loan must have an acceptable credit history, adequate
repayment ability, and be unable to obtain the needed credit from commercial
- Homes must be located in rural areas. All communities in Nebraska are eligible for housing programs with the exceptions of Fremont, Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, Lincoln, North Platte, Omaha, and South Sioux City/Dakota City.
Loan Terms and Conditions:
- Loan funds can be used for the removal of health and safety hazards or
for general updating/remodeling of a home..
- The maximum loan amount is $20,000 (outstanding).
- The loan term can be up to 20 years.
- The interest rate is one percent for repair loans.
- A deed of trust is required on loans exceeding $7,500 or greater.
- Grant agreements are required to be signed by all grantees.
- Grant funds can ONLY be used to remove health and safety hazards.
- The maximum grant amount is a lifetime assistance of $7,500.
Rural Home Repair Loan and Grant Program Fact Sheet