Engineering and Construction Documents


Providing quality water service and safe, efficient waste disposal for rural areas requires thoughtful application of technology. New York has two staff engineers that interface with applicants, their consulting engineers, and other agencies. In the interest of developing the best possible projects, RD staff engineers are responsible for reviewing project documents and concurring in the technical aspects of water and waste disposal projects funded under the Water and Environmental Program. Our staff engineers maintain a working partnership with the consulting engineers. Consulting engineers often make first contact with applicants and provide basic information about RD programs. This partnership has resulted in many successful water and waste projects. The purpose of our web pages is to provide current, useful engineering information to applicants, consulting engineers, and other interested parties.

The use of EJCDC engineering and construction documents as described and supplemented by RUS Bulletin 1780-26 is required for water and waste disposal projects. EJCDC documents are proprietary documents of the Engineers Joint Contract Documents Committee (EJCDC) and are held in copyright by the National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE). EJCDC documents may be purchased from one of the four EJCDC sponsoring organizations: the NSPE, the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), the American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC), and the Associated General Contractors of America (AGC).


Selecting an Engineer

The owner's selection of an engineer is one of the first steps to a successful infrastructure improvement project. As part of an application for funding from Rural Development, the applicant must select an engineer using the process described in RD Regulation 7 CFR 1780.39(b), which is based on the requirements of the Qualifications Based Selection Process (QBS).

This process involves public announcement (typically this involves a Request for Qualifications - RFQ) of all requirements for engineering services. Negotiation of contracts must be on the basis of demonstrated competence and qualifications for the type of professional services required at a fair and reasonable price.

See the information below for additional guidance:

Certification Regarding Debarment, Form AD 1048

Engineering Agreement Amendment Guidelines

Engineering Agreement Amendment Cover Sheet


The Preliminary Engineering Report (PER)

A PER is the basic engineering document in an application for funding from Rural Development Water and Waste Disposal program. The PER describes the need for a project, presents an analysis of alternatives to the proposed project, including a life cycle present worth cost analysis of any feasible alternatives, a description of the proposed project, a detailed construction cost estimate, a total project cost estimate, and an annual operating budget.

This document is submitted along with a complete application to the Rural Development Processing Office for review. Note that the PER and Environmental Report should be submitted at the same time. The Processing Office sends the PER to the State Engineer for a full review prior to consideration for funding.

Short Lived Assets Guide


The following link will provide RUS Bulletins needed to complete the Preliminary Engineering Report:

• Bulletin1780-26, Guidance for the Use of Engineers Joint Contract Documents Committee (EJCDC) Documents on Water and Waste Disposal Projects with RUS Financial Assistance

• Bulletin 1780-2, Preliminary Engineering Report


The following guides are provided to assist you with the preparation of the contract and construction documents:

Contract Documents Guidelines

Contract Document Checklist

Certification for Contracts, Grants & Loans, RD Inst. 1940-Q, Exhibit A

Certification Regarding Debarment, Form AD 1048

Compliance Statement, Form RD 400-6

Guide A, Statement of Contractor’s Qualifications

Davis Bacon Requirements

Seismic Certification

Sample Project Sign

Construction Closeout Checklist


For specific engineering related questions, please contact either of our State Engineers in New York:

Marcy Newman, P.E., State Engineer
21168 NYS Route 232, Watertown, NY 13601
Phone: (315) 782-7289 x123 | Fax: (315) 788-2454

John Helgren, P.E, State Engineer
441 S. Salina St., Suite 357, Syracuse, NY 13202
Phone: (315) 477-6427 | Fax: (315) 477-6448