photo of Milton Sewer

Engineering and Construction Information

Providing quality water service and safe, efficient waste disposal for rural areas requires thoughtful application of technology. Pennsylvania has staff engineers that interface with applicants, their consulting engineers, and other agencies. In the interest of developing the best possible projects, RD staff engineers are responsible for reviewing project documents and concurring in the technical aspects of water and waste disposal projects funded under the Water and Environmental Program. Our staff engineers maintain a working partnership with the consulting engineers. Consulting engineers often make first contact with applicants and provide basic information about RD programs. This partnership has resulted in many successful water and waste projects. The purpose of our web page is to provide current, useful engineering information to applicants, consulting engineers, and other interested parties.

For specific engineering related questions or questions about the propoer use of these documents, please contact one of the Rural Development Pennsylvania State Engineers:

John Williams, P.E.
One Credit Union Place, Suite 330, Harrisburg, PA 17110
Phone 717-237-2295, FAX 855-813-2863
Judith Tutino, P.E.
625 Evans City Road, Butler, PA 16001
724-482-4800 x122, FAX 855-750-7062
Kara Boyd
One Credit Union Place, Suite 330, Harrisburg, PA 17110
Phone 717-237-2182, FAX 855-813-2863

The Preliminary Engineering Report (PER)

A PER is the basic engineering document in an application for funding from Rural Development Water and Waste Disposal program. The PER describes the need for a project, presents an analysis of alternatives to the proposed project, including a life cycle present worth cost analysis of any feasible alternatives, a description of the proposed project, a detailed construction cost estimate, a total project cost estimate, and an annual operating budget. This document is submitted along with a complete application to the Rural Development Processing Office for review. Note that the PER and Environmental Report should be submitted at the same time. The Processing Office sends the PER to the State Engineer for a full review prior to consideration for funding. The following RUS Bulletins outline in detail the required content of a PER:

Selecting an Engineer

The owner's selection of an engineer is one of the first steps to a successful infrastructure improvement project. As part of an application for funding from Rural Development, the applicant must select an engineer using the process described in RD Regulation 7 CFR 1780.39(b), which is based on the requirements of the Qualifications Based Selection Process (QBS). This process involves public announcement (typically this involves a Request for Qualifications - RFQ) of all requirements for engineering services. Negotiation of contracts must be on the basis of demonstrated competence and qualifications for the type of professional services required at a fair and reasonable price.

Engineering Services Agreements

The USDA Rural Utilities Program has migrated to the use of EJCDC engineering and construction documents as described and supplemented by RUS Bulletin 1780-26 (PA Revision, 6-2010) for water and waste disposal projects. Currently, the 2008 Edition of the Agreement between Owner and Engineer for Professional Services is the appropriate document to be used for engineering services. Please note that these are Standard Edition documents which must be modified for use on our projects. The EJCDC 2002 Funding Agency Edition documents are no longer approved for use.

Information on EJCDC documents, including where they can be purchased, is available at this link: EJCDC Engineering and Construction Documents

See the information below for additional guidance:

  • Certification Regarding Debarment, Form AD 1048
  • Guidance Information for Agreement for Engineering Services
  • RUS Bulletin 1780-26 (PA Revision, 6-2010), Guidance for the Use of Engineers Joint Contract Documents Committee (EJCDC) Documents on Water and Waste Disposal Projects with RUS Financial Assistance

Water and Environmental Programs Construction Contracts

Construction contracts funded through the Water and Environmental Program must use the Construction Related Documents, 2007 Edition, prepared by the Engineers Joint Contract Documents Committee (EJCDC). These documents are to be used in conjunction with Rural Development (RD) construction documents for water & wastewater projects receiving RD funding. RUS Bulletin 1780-26 (PA Revision, 6-2010) contains guidance on how to prepare the contract documents.

Information on EJCDC documents, including where they can be purchased, is available at this link: EJCDC Engineering and Construction Documents.

The following “Front End” documents which must be included in the Project Manual are available for download and use by engineers and others:

Advertisement RB 1780-26, Exhibit E
Instructions to Bidders RB 1780-26, Exhibit F
Bid Form RB 1780-26, Exhibit G
Bid Bond EJCDC Form C-430 (07)
Notice of Intent to Award RB 1780-26, Exhibit 1
Notice of Award EJCDC Form C-510 (07)
Certification Regrding Debarment, Suspension, Ineligibililty and Voluntary Exclusion AD 1048
Compliance Statement RD Form 400-6
Certification for Contracts, Grants and Loans RB 1780-26, Exhibit 1
Disclosure of Lobbying Activities Std Form LLL
Construction Performance Bond EJCDC Form C-610 (2010)
Construction Payment Bond EJCDC Form C-615 (2010)
Owner-Contractor Agreement EJCDC Form C-520 (07)
Certificate of Owner's Attorney Certificate
Notice to Proceed EJCDC Form C-550 (07)
Standard General Conditions EJCDC Form C-700 (07)
Pennsylvania Supplemlentary Conditions RB 1780-26, Exhibit I
Project Sign Sign
Change Order EJCDC Form C-941 (07)
Contractor's Application for Payment EJCDC Form C-620(2010)
Certificate of Substantial Completion EJCDC Form C-625 (07)
Pennsylvania E-Verification Forms
ARRA Contractor Certifications (If applicable)

(1) Note: The EJCDC Payment bond, C-615, was revised and re-issued by the EJCDC Council in 2010.

(2) Note: The Contractor's Application for Payment, C-620, was revised October 2010.

(NOTE: Although the 2013 edition of EJCDC's Construction Family of Documents are now available, the USDA RUS will take some time to approve the 2013 edition. Only RUS pre-approved documents can be utilized at this time. They can be obtained through EJCDC’s on- line store; use link above, in the USDA Rural Utility Service Preapproved Documents category.) Projects funded by RUS do not require the use of Davis Bacon Wage rates. Unless the Community or Authority has secured other funding that require the use of Davis Bacon wage rates, Pennsylvania Prevailing wage rates will apply.

All plans and specifications must be reviewed and approved by RUS prior to going out to bid. Please contact one of the Rural Development Pennsylvania State Engineers with any questions.