News Release
Release No.STELPRD4007917
ContactErnie Watson505-761-4951
Project to create a better learning environment for students
Albuquerque, NM, Dec 15, 2010 --

@@Earlier today, USDA Rural Development State Director Terry Brunner was in Lordsburg to present a $22,702 certificate of obligation to HELP New Mexico, Inc. which operates the Lordsburg Head Start Program. The USDA funding will be used for the development of the infant and toddler playground equipment and the creation of a parent bonding area.

During the presentation Brunner said, “A better learning environment for children is essential to the sustainability and development of our rural communities. Students in rural New Mexico deserve the same opportunities as kids in urban areas and our funds in Lordsburg will help in that effort”

The USDA Rural Development funding was made available through the Community Facilities program which finances essential equipment and buildings for non-profit organizations and to governmental entities in communities of less than 20,000 people.

HELP-NM operates both an Early Head Start program and Head Start program in Lordsburg. The Early Head Start program serves 16 Infants, Toddlers, and expectant mothers while the Head Start classroom serves over 20 children from ages 3 to 5 years old. The program provides comprehensive services in the areas of education, health, mental wellness, nutrition, disabilities, and parent leadership. The Head Start service area includes Lordsburg and the rural areas of northern Hidalgo County.

USDA Rural Development has provided similar funds to other Head Start programs administered by HELP New Mexico in Columbus and in Truth or Consequences, New Mexico.

USDA Rural Development’s mission is to increase economic opportunity and improve the quality of life for rural residents. Rural Development fosters growth in homeownership, finances business development, and supports the creation of critical community and technology infrastructure. Further information on rural programs is available at any local USDA Rural Development office or by visiting USDA Rural Development’s web site at