News Release
Release No.STELPRD4019580
ContactEmily Cannon(207) 990-9175
Bangor, ME, Feb 01, 2013 --

@@USDA Rural Development State Director Virginia Manuel has announced funding in the amount of $1.46 million for sewer system upgrades to the City of Old Town.

USDA Rural Development is providing the City a Water and Waste Disposal Direct Loan in the amount of $1,304,000 and Water and Waste Disposal Grant of $156,000 for sewer collection system upgrades on Stillwater Avenue in conjunction with a Maine Department of Transportation road reconstruction project. Specifically funding will replace two aged sewer mains on Stillwater Avenue. The existing mains are a combination of clay and asbestos cement pipe and are in poor condition, allowing for potential overflows that could impact the Penobscot River.

USDA Rural Development State Director Virginia Manuel said, “I am pleased USDA Rural Development can provide significant investments to fund this very critical wastewater infrastructure project in Old Town. Protection of Maine’s natural resources is a key priority of USDA Rural Development and the replacement of antiquated sewer mains will help to ensure the preservation and health of the Penobscot River while contributing to Old Town’s sustainability.”

Old Town City Manager Bill Mayo said, “The Stillwater Avenue sewer upgrade is critical in replacing an old and failing sewer main. Along with this project the water main and road will also be upgraded. This is an essential infrastructure improvement for the City and serves an area with a great deal of development potential.”

USDA Rural Development has Area Offices located in Presque Isle, Bangor, Lewiston, and Scarborough, as well as a State Office, located in Bangor. There are 63 employees working to deliver the agency’s Housing, Business, and Community Programs, which are designed to improve the economic stability of rural communities, businesses, residents, and farmers, and improve the quality of life in rural Maine. Further information on rural programs is available at a local USDA Rural Development office or by visiting USDA Rural Development's web site at

USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer. To file a complaint of discrimination, write to: USDA, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (866) 632-9992 (Toll-free Customer Service),

(800) 877-8339 (Local or Federal relay), (866) 377-8642 (Relay voice users).