USDA Rural Development Disaster Assistance

USDA Rural Development can help existing borrowers who are affected by a natural disaster. Victims of natural disasters who are not current borrowers should contact the Federal Emergency Management Agency. FEMA is the lead agency that provides direct assistance to disaster victims. Rural Development's regular programs can help individuals, families, business owners and communities affected by natural disasters.

Active Texas Disaster Declarations

Severe Storms and Flooding DR-4159

Texas Explosion DR-4136 and EM-3363

Additional Information from Texas USDA Rural Development

For Single Family Housing Loan Borrowers or Grant Recipients

Natural Disaster Loans and Grants may be available IF a special appropriation of funds is provided in counties designated by the President as a disaster area to help families whose Rural Development financed homes were damaged or destroyed. If special appropriations are not made, applicants can apply and meet normal qualifications and be subject to the availability of funds.

To qualify:

Loan servicing options are available to help families who experience financial problems after the disaster. Servicing options include:

  • Moratoriums - a temporary period where no payment is required for up to 180 days for borrowers who have lost employment, sustained severe property damage or medical expenses.
  • Reamortization - rescheduling loan payments to determine a new monthly payment amount if needed following a moratorium or to resolve account delinquency.
To request loan servicing assistance, borrowers should contact the Centralized Servicing Center at: USDA Rural Development, Centralized Servicing Center, Attn.: Borrower Assistance Branch Special Assistance Section, Post Office Box 66889, St. Louis, MO 63166. You may also call 1-800-414-1226 or TDD 1-800-438-1832.

For Multi-Family Housing Loan Borrowers and Their Tenants

Residents in Rural Development financed apartment complexes who are displaced by a natural disaster may apply for occupancy at any of our apartment complexes and receive special priority consideration for the next available unit. Displaced tenants who are receiving Rental Assistance may have their subsidy transferred if the complex they move to is eligible for the Rental Assistance Program.

Although Rural Development expects borrowers' hazard insurance to cover damage costs associated with the disaster, we can consider temporary measures to reduce borrowers' financial burdens and work with them if needed to develop a servicing workout plan. To request loan servicing assistance, borrowers should contact a Texas Multi-Family Housing Specialist at 1-254-742-9770.

For Community Facilities Loan Borrowers

Community Facilities borrowers adversely affected by a disaster can receive servicing assistance to help minimize their losses. To request loan servicing assistance, borrowers should contact a Texas Community Program Specialist at 1-254-742-9789.

For Business Owners

Rural Development's Business Programs normally do not have disaster assistance authority, however many of our programs can help provide financial relief to small businesses as a result of natural disasters.

Utilities Assistance for Communities

Emergency Community Water Assistance Grants are designed for rural communities with a significant decline in quantity or quality of drinking water. The population must not exceed 10,000 and median household incomes of 100 percent of a State's non-metropolitan median household income. Grants may be made for 100 percent of project costs. The maximum grant is $500,000 when a significant decline in quantity, imminent source shortage or quality of water occured within 2 years, or $150,000 to make emergency repairs and replacement of facilities on existing systems. To apply community leaders should contact a Texas Utilities Program Specialist at 1-254-742-9789.