The Distance Learning and Telemedicine Loan and Grant Program (DLT) is designed specifically to meet the educational and health care needs of rural America. Through loans, grants and loan/grant combinations, advanced telecommunications technologies provide enhanced learning and health care opportunities for rural residents.
Please visit the DLT Resource Page for information, FAQs, Previously funded awards, and more.
Also…NEW! 2013 DLT Application Guide and Toolkit.
Please note: The 2013 Grant Application deadline has not yet be announced.
Entities providing education and medical care via telecommunications including corporations or partnerships, Indian tribes or tribal organizations, state or local units of government, consortia, and private for-profit or not-for profit corporations. Individuals are not eligible.
- DLT 100% grant applications are accepted through a competitive process. The application window is announced annually (typically after the first of the year) through a Notice of Funds Availability (NOFA) in the Federal Register. Applicants are required to provide a minimum 15 percent match. Awards can range from $50,000 to $500,000.
(Please note: Because no budget authority has been appropriated, applications are not currently being accepted for either 100% loans or loan/grant combinations as described below.)
- DLT 100% loan applications are accepted year-round, are non-competitive and do not require the applicant to provide matching funds. Loan awards range from $50,000 to $10,000,000.
- DLT combination loan/grant applications are accepted year-round, are non-competitive and do not require that applicant to provide matching funds. Loan awards range from $50,000 to $10,000,000.
Purposes Eligible for 100% Grant, Combination Loan/Grant, and 100% Loan
- Acquisition of eligible capital assets:
- Interactive video equipment
- Audio and video equipment
- Terminal equipment
- Data terminal equipment
- Inside wiring
- Computer hardware and software
- Computer network components
- Other facilities that further DLT services
- Acquisition of instructional programming that is a capital asset
- Acquisition of technical assistance and instruction for using eligible equipment
Additional Purposes Eligible for Combination Loan/Grants and 100% Loans
- Links between teachers and students or medical professionals in the same facility
- Site development and alteration of buildings
- Purchase of land
- Purchase or construction of buildings
- Acquisition of telecommunications transmission facilities provided no facilities exist
Additional Purposes Eligible for 100% Loans
- Project operating costs for the first two years
- Distance learning broadcasting
Requests for 100% Grant Proposals:
- Applications are accepted annually, after the National Office publishes a Notice of Funds Availability (NOFA) in the Federal Register when funding has been approved by Congress and signed into law by the President.
- Grants will be awarded on a competitive basis.
- There is a minimum 15% match requirement for 100% grants.
- Please see DLT Resources for previous award summaries, documents, links, and information.
- Please visit our Success Stories page to view examples of how Distance Learning and Telemedicine funding has provided enhanced educational and health care opportunities for rural residents accross America.
Sam Morgan -- email@example.com -- (202) 720-0665