Public Television Digital Transition Grant Program
Public Television Digital Transition grants assist Public Television Stations serving substantial rural populations in transitioning to digital broadcast television transmission. Funds may be used to acquire and install facilities and software necessary for the transition. Grant funds may also be used for associated engineering and environmental studies.
Public television stations which serve rural areas. A public television station is a non-commercial educational television broadcast station that is qualified for Community Service Grants by the Corporation of Public Broadcasting under section 396(k) of the Communications Act of 1934.
- Individuals are not eligible for this program.
- Public Access Cable TV stations or PEG channels are not eligible.
- Grants are not renewable.
- Application Deadline: August 30, 2013
- Applications are accepted annually, after the National Office publishes a Notice of Funds Availability (NOFA) in the Federal Register when funding has been approved by Congress and signed into law by the President.
- Grants will be awarded on a competitive basis.
- There is no requirement for matching funds in this program.
Grant funds may be used to acquire, lease, and/or install facilities and software necessary to the digital transition, including:
- Digital transmitters, translators, and repeaters, including all facilities required to initiate DTV broadcasting.
- Power upgrades of existing DTV equipment, including replacement of low-power digital transmitters with digital transmitters capable of delivering the final authorized power level.
- Studio-to-transmitter links
- Equipment to allow local control over digital content and programming, including: Master control equipment
- Digital program production equipment, including cameras, editing,
mixing and storage equipment
- Multicasting and datacasting equipment
- Cost of the lease of facilities, if any, for up to three years
- Associated engineering and environmental studies necessary to
- Please see Public Television Digital Transition Grant Programs Resources for previous award summaries, documents, links, and information.
- Coming Soon: Examples of how the program has succeeded in improving rural America.
Advanced Services Division, Telecommunications Program (202) 690-4493