USDA Rural Development LogoCommitted to the future of rural communities    

Rural Development

Housing & Community Facilities Programs



Versión en Español


Single Family Direct Home Loan Borrowers

To improve service and cut taxpayer costs, USDA Rural Development created the Centralized Servicing Center (CSC), which uses an automated system to expand benefits to new and existing home loan borrowers nationwide. The CSC services all USDA Rural Development single family housing loans. If you need to ask about a loan, call the toll-free number at 1-800-414-1226.


How can I contact the CSC about my home loan?

The CSC's toll-free phone number is 1-800-414-1226. Press "1" for English, and "2" for Spanish (marque "2" para Espanol). TDD: 1-800-438-1832. The address is:

USDA Rural Development
Centralized Servicing Center
P.O. Box 66889
St. Louis, MO 63166

When can I talk to a customer service representative?

The CSC is open from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Central Standard Time, Monday through Friday. The CSC does not accommodate walk-in customers.

Can I receive basic account information any time?

Yes. You can call 1-800-414-1226 toll free, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to obtain basic information about the status of your account through our automated voice response system. By using a touch-tone phone and our simple menu selection, you can check your account balance, date of last payment, amount of payment assistance, and year-to-date interest and taxes paid without waiting for a customer service representative to assist you.

Top of Page 

May I contact USDA Rural Development offices within my State about my home loan?

All questions concerning your existing loan should be directed to the CSC address or phone number listed on this page. The CSC began providing home loan services to new borrowers beginning on October 1, 1996.

Where should I send my payment?

Mail payments to the address on your billing statement. Do not mail payments directly to the CSC street address. Payments are past due if the total amount due is not received by the due date. If the account is past due more than 15 days, a late fee will be applied to your account.

Who will service my loan?

The CSC offers all borrowers lower payments (payment subsidy), deferred payments (moratorium assistance), counseling, and all other services which historically were provided by local offices. The toll-free phone number is available 24 hours a day for basic loan information; to speak to a loan counselor, call between the hours of 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., Central Standard Time, Monday through Friday.

What if I have financial difficulties?

Call the CSC immediately. It is important that we know if you are having temporary financial difficulties. We may be able to provide payment assistance (lower payments), moratorium relief (deferred payments), or counseling to help you meet your obligations.

Can I have payments automatically deducted from my bank account?

If you want your mortgage payment automatically paid from your checking or savings account, call the CSC or complete the form received with your introductory letter and return it with a blank check across which you have written "VOID". Allow 45 days for us to process your application. It is important to remember that you must have enough money in your account to cover the monthly payment. Please continue to send your payment by check until notified.

Top of Page

Can I shorten the loan payment period?

Yes, you can send extra money over your payment amount to reduce principal. In order for the extra payment to be applied to principal, your loan must be current and have no outstanding fees. Please indicate the additional amount toward principal in the appropriate box on your monthly billing statement.

What about real estate taxes and property insurance? What is an escrow account?

All borrowers are required to pay real estate taxes and property insurance premiums. An account for the payment of taxes and insurance is established for all new loans. This is called an escrow account. Long-time borrowers with loans not on escrow may request an escrow account to be established at any time.

For long-time borrowers who are not on escrow and fail to pay your taxes or insurance premium, the CSC will pay them, charge the amount to your accounts, and establish an escrow account. This will increase your monthly payment.

Once you are on escrow, your account will be reviewed at least once each year based on the most recent changes to your tax bill and/or insurance premium. This may result in an increase or decrease to your payment.

What fees may borrowers incur?

  • Returned check: $15
  • Late payment: 4 percent of payment amount
  • Payoff statement: 2 free in any 30-day period. Additional statements, $25.
  • Extra annual statement: $10

If you have additional questions about your loan or about the way the Single Family Housing program works in your state, please contact the Rural Housing Division of your Rural Development State Office.