U S D A and Rural Development Logos         Committed to the future of rural communities    


Washington State


About us: link to information about our programs and servicesLink to business and cooperative program informationLink to housing and community facilities program informationLink to utility program information
Link to information about community development and empowermentLink to office locationsLink to news and informationLink to publicationsLink to regulations


Water & Waste Disposal Loans and Grants

USDA Rural Development Water & Waste Disposal loans and grants are used to provide financing for water, sanitary sewage, solid waste disposal and storm wastewater facilities for rural residents.

Public bodies such as municipalities (cities, towns and villages with a population of 10,000 or less,), counties, and water districts or sewer districts, nonprofit corporations, and Federally recognized Indian tribes. Priority will be given to communities with a population of less than 5,500. 

Loan and grants can be used to construct, enlarge, extend or otherwise improve water or waste disposal facilities; pay reasonable fees necessary for the project development such as legal and engineering; cost of acquiring land, rights-of-way, permits, etc; the purchase or lease of necessary equipment to install, operate, maintain, extend or protect facilities.

Facilities which are not modest in size, design and cost; loan or grant finder's fees; new combined sanitary and storm water sewer facilities; that portion of a water and/or waste disposal facility normally provided by a business or industrial user; or any portion of the cost of the facility which does not serve a rural area.

Grants are considered only after a determination is made on the maximum amount of loan the community can afford and still have reasonable user rates. When those and other available funds are not sufficient to do the project.

 Grant Funds may not be used for:

  • Any ineligible loan purposes are also ineligible grant purposes.

  • Reduce equivalent dwelling unit (EDU) cost to a level less than similar systems.

 USDA Rural Development Specialists will be glad to discuss services available from the Agency and explain application procedures. Click here for the Rural Development Specialist closest to you.

Return to Water & Waste Page

Return to Programs Page

Return to Homepage

For questions, please refer to the "Contact Us" page of this website to select the proper individual. Send comments about the format of this web site to: mailto:philip.eggman@wa.usda.gov
Section 508 Web Accessibility Statement

USDA Rural Development is an Equal Opportunity Lender, Provider and Employer.

Complaints of Discrimination should be sent to:

USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, Washington D.C. 20250-9410

EEO/CR Statement

 Last modified: February 16, 2006