U S D A and Rural Development Logos         Committed to the future of rural communities    


Washington State


About us: link to information about our programs and servicesLink to business and cooperative program informationLink to housing and community facilities program informationLink to utility program information
Link to information about community development and empowermentLink to office locationsLink to news and informationLink to publicationsLink to regulations


Section 306C Water & Waste Grants/

Native American Set-Aside

These funds are specifically intended to be used for eligible projects that benefit members of Federally Recognized Tribes (Tribal Members). The set-aside is targeted to Tribes that are severely distressed economically, have high unemployment rates and have critical water-related human and environmental health problems. Funding is limited to $16 million nationwide and is available on a priority basis with a $1 million limit for any project.

As with the regular Water & Waste Program, applicants are expected to borrow as much as they can afford to repay before consideration will be made for a grant, with special consideration given to projects involving loan funds or leveraged funds. Funds will be allocated on a project-by-project basis periodically throughout the year. Other considerations include:

  • The projects must have a service area where the per capita income is not more than $10,094 and the unemployment rate is not less than 6.75 percent.

  • The application process and paperwork is the same as that used for the regular Water and Waste Program.

  • There is broader latitude to pay for such things as individual hook-up costs, line connections, decommissioning individual failed septic tanks and wells, etc.

USDA Rural Development Specialists will be glad to discuss services available from the Agency and explain application procedures. Click here for the Rural Development Specialist closest to you.

Return to Water & Waste Page

Return to Programs Page

Return to Homepage

For questions, please refer to the "Contact Us" page of this website to select the proper individual. Send comments about the format of this web site to: mailto:philip.eggman@wa.usda.gov
Section 508 Web Accessibility Statement

USDA Rural Development is an Equal Opportunity Lender, Provider and Employer.

Complaints of Discrimination should be sent to:

USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, Washington D.C. 20250-9410

EEO/CR Statement

 Last modified: February 16, 2006