U S D A and Rural Development Logos         Committed to the future of rural communities    


Washington State


About us: link to information about our programs and servicesLink to business and cooperative program informationLink to housing and community facilities program informationLink to utility program information
Link to information about community development and empowermentLink to office locationsLink to news and informationLink to publicationsLink to regulations


Technical Assistance and Training Grants

The purpose of the Technical Assistance and Training Grant program is to identify and evaluate solutions to water and waste disposal problems in rural areas, assist applicants in preparing applications for water and waste disposal grants, and improve operation and maintenance of existing water and waste disposal facilities in rural areas.

Entities eligible for Technical Assistance and Training Grants include:

  • Private nonprofit organizations that have been granted tax-exempt status by the Internal Revenue Service

  • Must have proven ability, background, experience, legal authority and actual capacity to provide technical assistance

Grant funds can be used to:

  • Identify and evaluate solution to water problems of associations (group-type organizations) in rural areas relating to:

    • Source

    • Storage

    • Treatment

    • Distribution

  • Identify and evaluate solutions to waste problems of associations (group-type organizations) in rural areas relating to:

    • Collection

    • Treatment

    • Disposal

  • Assist associations, that have filed a pre-application for assistance, in the preparation of water and/or waste disposal loan and/or grant application.

  • Provide training to association personnel that will improve the management, operation and maintenance of water and waste disposal facilities.

  • Pay expenses associated with providing the technical assistance and/or training.

 Ineligible Grant Purposes

  • Recruiting applications for water and waste disposal loan and/or grant program.

  • Duplicating current services, replacement or substitution of support previously provided such as those performed by an association's consultant in developing a project.

  • Funding political activities.

  • Paying for capital assets, purchase of real estate or vehicles, improve or renovate office space, or repair and maintain privately-owned property.

  • Paying for construction or operation and maintenance costs.

  • Paying costs incurred before the effective date of the grant.

  • Paying for technical assistance which duplicates assistance provided to implement an action plan funded by the Forest Service.

Pre-applications, on SF-424.1, can be filed between October 1 and December 31 of each year. Notice of Funding Available (NOFA) is published annually in the Federal Register.  USDA Rural Development Specialists will be glad to discuss services available from the Agency and explain application procedures. Click here for the Rural Development Specialist closest to you.

Return to Water & Waste Page

Return to Homepage

For questions, please refer to the "Contact Us" page of this website to select the proper individual. Send comments about the format of this web site to: mailto:philip.eggman@wa.usda.gov
Section 508 Web Accessibility Statement

USDA Rural Development is an Equal Opportunity Lender, Provider and Employer.

Complaints of Discrimination should be sent to:

USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, Washington D.C. 20250-9410

EEO/CR Statement

 Last modified: February 16, 2006